Interaction

Above I have embedded a link to the video i chose to reflect my interactive learning resource topic, entitled “Gender Differences in Mental Health” by Professor Jayashri Kulkarni.

The youtube link is just over 7 minutes long and is a lecture based presentation on gender differences in mental health. The video includes a slideshow and pictures along with a visual of the professor as she narrates each slide.

1. What kind of interaction would the video require from your students? Does it force them to respond in some way (inherent)?

The video is not inherently interactive. In other words, the video does not produce an activity that requires students to respond to. However, if I were using this video in a lesson I would encourage students to take notes, as it would help with future activities and will help encourage students to pay attention to the information being provided in the video

2. What activity could you suggest that they do, after they have watched the video (designed)? What type of knowledge or skill would that activity help develop? What medium or technology would students use to do the activity?

If were using this video in class, I would design the video to be interactive, by requiring my students to respond to the video. This would be in terms of a discussion post in which students could relay information that they were surprised by or interested in, as well, as how the video made them feel. I would also require students to respond to 2 other posts by their classmates as it will encourage them to see how other people interpreted the video and require them to engage with other students ideas. Discussion posts are a great way to develop more knowledge on a topic as they allow for critical thinking, and it is an opportunity to connect with your classmates and their ideas. Last, online discussion boards offer students the opportunity to find their voice and provide proof for their opinions in a polite manner that creates an inviting learning environment for all students. All these learning skills are extremely important in the classroom, but even more importantly, this knowledge on communication will transfer into our personal lives as we use these online platforms (ex.social media) to communicate our ideas and beliefs.

3. How would students get feedback on the activity that you set? What medium or technology would they and/or you use for getting and giving feedback on their activity

If I were designing a lesson plan, I would use a participation assessment. I would give students marks for creating their own post and then a mark for each of the 2 posts they provided in response to a classmates idea. I don’t think there can be a right or wrong answer when a post is based on ones personal opinion in response to a video so therefore, I think its more important that students are engaging and critically thinking, then for me to ask specific multiple choice question that they may or may not remember taking place in the video. I would use a course site like bright-spaces, as it offers an easy to use discussion sections that allows students to post their own ideas, as well as read and respond to other students.

4. How will you address any potential barriers for your learners in the use of this video to ensure an inclusive design?

I think this video does a great job at creating an inclusive design for all students. First, its an online video so it can be paused, rewatched, and can be played over technology, such as zoom, making it accessible to people who may not be able to attend class. Additionally, the video provides slides with words and diagrams, that offer ELL students a visual to better understand what the professor is lecturing on. One thing I would do when showing this video would be to turn the captions on so that students, especially those with english not as their first language, have the opportunity to be able to see the words the professor is saying to help increase literacy and make the connection between seeing and hearing the words.